top of page

My First Two Weeks.

Updated: Mar 29, 2021

As some of you may know on the 2nd March 2021, I received my first Chemo treatment, the treatment itself isn't unpleasant at all, its the after effects that are!

The day after my treatment 3rd March, I felt sick to my stomach, I sat on the sofa like a zombie, waiting for it to pass, I drank lots of water - which I have continued to do and at 1pm I decided to go to bed and sleep for a few hours, this helped but I remained to feel nauseous for the rest of the day. I had little to eat that day, I remember eating toast, dry biscuits and water that was all I could stomach.

The 4th March - 7th March. I felt pretty well, I did not have a lot of energy, but I spent my days pottering around the house cleaning what I could, throwing the endless washing in the machine...but making sure I rested up too.

Monday 8th March - I woke up this morning and didn't feel my normal self and wondered if this was going to be the start of things. I think when you have had chemo, you just feel like a sitting duck waiting for the after effects to appear.

Pixie went back to school today, to say she was excited is an understatement, she was so happy to be finally seeing her friends, after all school is about socialising, not working!

The postman arrived with a letter from my Oncologist this morning, one thing I will say about my journey, like many others no doubt is that when you first start your journey, Doctors & Oncologists will tell you the bare minimal of the cancer details, its not until you start receiving it in writing that you realise the actual details.

My Breast Cancer has been confirmed to be a mixed bag I have Grade 3 mixed invasive ductal micropapillary and the cancers are ER/PR Positive and HER2 Negative.

Obviously the first thing you do is google.. its can help sometimes.. and certain factors have made more sense to me now, as I know what I am looking at too, I had previously been told that my cancer had spread to my chest wall, but the cancer was not strong enough to break through the walls, so I now know this was the HER2 cancer cells as they are a slower growing cancer.

On the evening of the 08th March, I started to encounter a sore throat, I was slightly concerned as obviously the hospital had told me that I should be careful and that infections, colds etc whilst my immune system is suppressed that it could have a detriment effect, so after taking a couple of paracetamol and a throat lozenge I went to bed.

09th March 2021. The day my throat was on fire!!

I woke up at 6.30 with a throat that felt like I had swallowed blades.. it was burning so bad and it felt that I had ulcers from my throat, all down my neck too... just awful.

I was meant to be on a conference call with the Pandora Management Team, and I just knew that I couldn't be on it, I could hardly talk, it hurt to drink and eat.

Phil called me a few times that morning to see how I was, and insisted I contacted Burton Hospital Chemo Unit. I eventually called them at 12 noon, knowing that this condition could get even worse before it gets better.

I hopped in the shower, got dressed and made my way to Burton. I arrived at reception and before I knew it, I was called in by one of the nurses.

The nurse arranged for my blood to be taken first, this is done first to check your immune system.

I was made comfortable in one of the big comfy chairs and waited until they returned- all was okay!!

I then waited for the Doctor (Lauren), who was lovely, softly spoken, and very caring, she gave me a check over and advised that I had an oral thrush infection something very common when having chemo treatment... its all down to the amount of chemo you are given and your immune system coping.

I was given Flucloxacillin (antibiotics) 1 to be taken daily for the next 7 days.

I eventually made is home just after 5.15pm, I walked through the door and lay on the sofa and fell asleep.

I was woken up an hour later by the doorbell, I woke up dazed and looked through the window and I could see that someone was waving at me, so I opened the front door and there was one of Britney's best friends mums with a basket, such a beautiful gift that the Katherine Allport Foundation make up for patients starting their journey with Chemo. You should take a read, and support this amazing local foundation, its such a wonderful thing to do, and thank you to Sophie & her mom too.. such a beautiful thought.

By the Friday 12th March, I could honestly say the antibiotics had cleared up my throat, which was amazing - I could eat again!!

Lauren (doctor) called first thing on Friday morning to check up on how I was getting on, and was very happy that my body had reacted with the treatment given.

I raised my concerns with Lauren and asked if this would this be something I would encounter every time that I have chemo and she could not confirm this either way, but did advise that if there was any sign of a sore throat next time, then the antibiotics would be there straight away and at least I know what signs to look for.

Friday afternoon, I needed to get out the house, so I asked the girls if they fancied a walk up to the motorway bridge, so we grabbed our coats and took a slow stroll out, fresh air & a giggle was just what the doctor ordered.


Recent Posts

See All



bottom of page